Classes of hosting services
A hosting service pertains to keeping and/or sharing specific web content on a web hosting server handled by a website hosting provider. There are various types of hosting services utilized for different purposes, so let's examine them. Thus, you can pick what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to launch a web portal, mail aliases, or to share files with comrades and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service made available by particular companies, which allows you to share immense files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single purpose is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free file hosting plans often involve ads next to the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a certain amount of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file hosting account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limit with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a totally wrong interpretation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would allocate the load between separate hosts of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending miscellaneous web space hosting services (electronic mail, disk storage, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is only a type of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; certain firms offer a hosting solution for pictures solely. This hosting variant is good if you would like to share a huge number of images with mates or acquaintances since the solution is generally free. You will receive a random link for each picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to managing your email address accounts. Some firms provide webspace hosting solutions for web sites, but do not offer an e-mail service. If you would like to keep a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to possess a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can open email address accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video brings about a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video files and a few hundred web page viewers, you may have a hard time with your web space hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will enable you to operate as many video files as you desire without hassling about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you desire to keep a web site. To some degree, it embodies all of the abovementioned hosting groups since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can set up databases and mails, upload videos, and so on. At JDC Hosting, for example, you can see web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that enable you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one single place. There may be limits depending on the sort of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your webspace hosting account may be better or worse compared to the customary email/file/video/image hosting plans that are tailored for specific content solely.